LAGOS (AFP) - Armed militants in Nigeria's Niger Delta Monday claimed attacks against facilities run by US oil giant Chevron and warned FIFA against letting the country host the under-17 World Cup tournament.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) in an email statement also threatened to extend its operations beyond Delta State to others in the oil-rich but volatile southern region.
MEND said they had started a huge fire that destroyed Abiteye flow station and blown up two other Chevron facilities there early Monday.
"Hurricane Piper Alpha hit the Abiteye flowstation operated by Chevron today... which resulted in a massive fire outbreak that is consuming the entire facility," it said in the statement.
MEND vowed to move "into the neighboring states of Bayelsa and Rivers before passing through the remaining states of Ondo, Edo and Akwa Ibom then finally head off-shore."
The group also took "this opportunity to advise FIFA to have a re-think about Nigeria hosting the under-17 World Cup tournament at this time, as the safety of international players and visitors cannot be guaranteed due to the current unrest."
The tournament is due to run from October 24 to November 15, and Nigeria has scheduled some matches to be played in the restive region.
FIFA has received security "guarantees" from Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua for the competition, a FIFA source said.
"FIFA has received Nigerian government's total commitment, as well as supplementary guarantees required by FIFA on medical and security issues, signed by Yar'Adua," the source said.
A top FIFA delegation, led by its vice president, Jack Warner, met on Saturday in Abuja Nigerian vice president Goodluck Jonathan.
The spokesman of the Local Organising Committee for the competition, Emeka Odikpo, echoed the same FIFA assurances.
"It is the responsibility of the Nigerian government to gurantee security. FIFA has obtained guarantees from government on the competition. These guarantees were reaffirmed at the weekend in Abuja," Odikpo told AFP.
"Government has said that everybody will be safe and we hold on to that promise," he stated.
The MEND statement also urged people from the Niger Delta region living in northern Nigeria to return home within the next eight weeks.
MEND said it was issuing the warning "because a major event will occur in that part of the country and reprisal attacks directed at them cannot be ruled out."
It gave the same advice to northern Nigerians living in the Niger Delta.
While the north of Nigeria is predominantly Muslim, the south is mainly Christian.
The spokesman of a special military unit in the area, Colonel Rabe Abubakar, downplayed the MEND attack, saying only that there was "a serious exchange" of fire between the militants and troops, but that only Chevron could speak on its facility.
"There was a serious exchange of fire between our troops and them at the flowstation. We were able to chase them away. They fled and there was no casualty on our side. We are waiting for the company has to speak about their facility," he said.
Chevron is "not speculating on any comment while investigations are being undertaken," a company spokesman, Scott Walker, said in a statement to AFP.
One attack in May cost Chevron 100,000 barrels a day in lost production.
MEND, which says it is fighting for a fairer distribution of oil wealth to local people, said it would keep up its operations until oil production in the country had been brought to a halt.
Since 2006, MEND has been sabotaging industry infrastructure and abducting oil workers, to the extent that it has seriously disrupted oil production.
The unrest has caused Nigeria's main export product to fall by nearly a third, from 2.6 million barrels a day in 2006 to 1.8 million currently.
Nigeria derives more than 95 percent of its foreign exchange earnings from crude production in the Niger Delta region, according to official figures.
|Neville: Rashford as good as Mbappe and Dembele|
|MLS Review: Montreal win derby, Atlanta put four past Galaxy|
|Madrid can overturn deficit as captain Ramos remains calm|
|Neymar wouldn´t have treated Messi like he did Cavani – Forlan|
|Zidane not worried after Madrid lose ground on Barca|
|Casemiro calls for Madrid calm after shock Betis loss|
|Sane sends message to Guardiola as Manchester City shake off West Brom|
|Keep calm and carry on – Allegri backs Higuain to rediscover scoring touch|
|Bosz proud of table-topping Dortmund after Hamburg triumph|
|Montella points to schedule after uninspired Milan win|
|Conte confirms Luiz will be fit to face Atletico|
|Manchester City boss Guardiola hopeful Gundogan injury not serious|
|Real Madrid 0 Real Betis 1: Ronaldo´s return ruined as Sanabria stuns LaLiga champions|
|Wilshere is ready for the league - Wenger|
|Simeone lauds ´different class´ Griezmann|
|Mourinho praises United´s professionalism in EFL Cup win|
|Spurs to host West Ham in EFL Cup fourth round|
|West Brom 1 Manchester City 2: Sane at the double amid fresh Gundogan fears|
|Manchester United 4 Burton Albion 1: Mourinho´s men begin EFL Cup defence in style|
|Arsenal 1 Doncaster Rovers 0: Walcott hits winner for Wenger´s men|
|AC Milan 2 SPAL 0: Penalty double seals comfortable win for Montella´s side|
|Chelsea 5 Nottingham Forest 1: Hazard on form as Batshuayi claims hat-trick|
|Juventus 1 Fiorentina 0: Mandzukic on target as Bianconeri maintain winning start|
|Returning Gundogan limps out of impressive Manchester City return|
|Hamburg 0 Borussia Dortmund 3: Bosz´s men cruise back to Bundesliga summit|
|Athletic Bilbao 1 Atletico Madrid 2: Correa and Carrasco strike in second-half surge|
|I have nothing to prove - Paulinho|
|Prodl pens new four-year Watford contract|
|Monaco renew Subasic, Raggi deals|
|Sampson sacked as England Women´s boss|
|Manchester United to act against ´offensive behaviour´ after Lukaku race row|
|Atletico Madrid´s Wanda Metropolitano to host 2019 Champions League final|
|Chelsea confident of recruitment compliance amid FIFA investigation|
|Brighton seal permanent signing of Newcastle keeper Krul|
|Barcelona condemn Spanish crackdown on Catalonia independence vote|
|Benzema seals Real Madrid stay until 2021|
|Perisic promised Inter can match Manchester United|
|The race is on - Aubameyang lays down Lewandowski challenge|
|Cristiano Ronaldo´s Real Madrid return confirmed|
|Mbappe can prove he´s ready for Madrid at PSG - Morientes|
|PSG ´destroyed the market´ with Neymar and Mbappe - Elber|
|Coutinho withdrawal inspired Leicester to victory, claims Shakespeare|
|Valverde hopes Suarez benefits from Eibar rest|
|Wilshere returning to his best form - Wenger|
|Klopp: Liverpool are still a good football team|
|Pochettino hails ´top player´ Alli|
|Messi from ´another planet´, says Semedo|
|James performance pleases Ancelotti|
|Maestro Messi brings up 300 Camp Nou goals|
|Messi is extraordinary – Valverde hails Barcelona star|
|Inter eyeing Champions League return - Eder|
|Klopp ´sick´ of conceding as Liverpool tumble out of EFL Cup|
|Hodgson urges caution over Souare handling|
|Barcelona 6 Eibar 1: Majestic Messi leads romp with four goals for LaLiga leaders|
|Burnley 2 Leeds United 2 (aet, 3-5 pens): Lonergan the penalty hero as Championship leaders cause cu|
|I´m the first to trust young players - Conte defends Chelsea youth record|
|Matic and Fellaini have never been this good – Mourinho tells Carrick, Herrera to be patient|
|Tottenham 1 Barnsley 0: Alli sees off stubborn Tykes|
|Bologna 1 Inter 1: Contentious Icardi spot-kick maintains Spalletti´s unbeaten run|
|Leicester City 2 Liverpool 0: Okazaki, Slimani dump Klopp´s men out of EFL Cup|
|Schalke 0 Bayern Munich 3: James scores on first Bundesliga start|
|Atletico benefiting from competition of fringe players - Simeone|
|Manchester City have got two players for every position - Delph|
|Bayern could say they don´t need me – Lewandowski accepts football´s cut-throat nature|
|Montella to keep on rotating as he plans for long season|
|Billionaire investor announces he is ´done´ funding Hamburg|
|Wenger confirms Welbeck groin injury|
|Ljungberg sad to leave Wolfsburg|
|Ferdinand, McGregor and Curry - Sport´s most notable crossover stars|
|Messi has his story, I have mine - Dybala plays down compatriot comparisons|
|Hazard to start against Nottingham Forest as Conte prepares to rotate|
|New Real Madrid contract ´already done´ for Zidane|
|Chelsea won´t appeal David Luiz red card, Conte confirms|
|Mbappe and Dembele lead Golden Boy nominees|
|Dembele tipped for early January return after successful surgery|
|I hope it´s the last time – Zidane relieved to welcome back Ronaldo|
|Szczesny to face Fiorentina as Allegri calls for Juventus consistency|
|Gundogan fears he might never return to top form after Manchester City injury nightmare|
|Kick It Out contact Manchester United over ´offensive´ Lukaku chant|
|Bayern Munich goalkeeper Neuer ruled out until January|
|Cologne drop protest against Borussia Dormtund VAR goal|
|Ferdinand wants to recapture ´chemical of competition´ from boxing|
|Barcelona not planning January signings despite Dembele injury|
|Neville trolls Ferdinand as Manchester United great starts boxing career|
|Manchester United great Rio Ferdinand to launch boxing career|
|Oxlade-Chamberlain relieved to join Liverpool from Arsenal, says Klopp|
|Case closed! Tianjin Quanjian dismiss Aubameyang links|
|Tevez has not met expectations, says Shanghai Shenhua chairman|
|Socceroos pair Jedinak and Rukavytsya return to squad for World Cup play-off|
|Allegri not the reason for Bonucci´s Juve exit – wife|
|Hazard: I improved after a week with Conte at Chelsea|
|We aren´t far off Real Madrid – Herrera sees no reason for De Gea to head home|
|Manchester City obliged to win title after spending so much - Herrera|